Subscribe to Blog via RSS
Search for Events
Recent Blog Articles
- 4 Great Gifts for Wine Collectors
- Recapping an Epic Tasting of 1968 Cabernet Sauvignon
- A Blow to the Stomach - SF Chronicle to End Standalone Food Section?
- New Pinot Noir and Cabernet Releases from Sojourn Cellars
- Fervor versus Flavors
- Update: Missing Articles on NorCalWine
- Thoughts on the Inaugural Pine Mountain-Cloverdale Peak AVA Tasting
- Body Count - On Describing the Body of Wine
- Lateral Moves North
- Enjoy an Epic Tasting of 1968 Napa Valley Cabernets and Other Upcoming Events
- Charles Banks Acquires Historic Qupé Winery In the Santa Maria Valley Appellation
- Spotlight on the Moon Mountain District Sonoma County AVA
- Tasting the Wines of Andrew Murray Vineyards
- Mendocino Sparkles
- Discovering Mendocino
- Review: New California Wine by Jon Bonné
- 12 Things You Should Know about Sake
- Tasting Report: 14th Annual Mt. Veeder Appellation Tasting
- New Research: How Our Brains Categorize Aromas
- Upcoming Wine Events for September 20 - 23
Recent Wines of the Day
- 2011 Harney Lane Old Vine Zinfandel Lizzy James Vineyard Lodi
- 2006 Santana Supernatural Rosé by Mumm Napa
- 2011 Jekel Riesling Monterey and 2011 Jekel Pinot Noir Santa Barbara
- 2012 Matthiasson Chardonnay Linda Vista Vineyard Napa Valley
- Review from the Cellar - 2010 Qupé Mourvedre Ibarra-Young Vineyard
- 2012 Tres Sabores Rosé “Ingrid and Julia” Napa Valley
- 2011 Testarossa Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2009 Lucia Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- Review: 2009 Buccella Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2008 Vin Roc Cabernet Sauvignon Atlas Peak Napa Valley
- 2009 Cornerstone Cellars “The Cornerstone” Napa Valley
- 2009 Laetitia Pinot Noir Single Vineyard La Colline Arroyo Grande Valley
- 2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
- 2012 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Kerner Lodi AVA
- 2010 Wren Hop Pinot Noir “Fire Messenger” Sonoma Coast
- 2011 Lucia Pinot Noir Soberanes Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2011 Roar Chardonnay Sierra Mar Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2010 Frostwatch Chardonnay Bennett Valley Sonoma County
- 2007 Smith-Madrone Cabernet Sauvignon Spring Mountain District Napa Valley
- 2012 Voss Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley
NorCal Wine Blog
Drink to Africa's Health
- Tasting Event
- Written by Fred Swan
- Friday, 13 April 2012 11:39
On Sunday, May 6, the Charles Krug-Peter Mondavi Sr. Family Winery will host a benefit wine auction and concert. Proceeds will go to the Foundation for African Medicine & Education (FAME). The organization provides medication to African communities in need. Last year, their Napa Valley branch funded 75% of all the organization's medicines.
This event sounds like a lot of fun and the cause is extremely worthy. I am going to make an effort to attend. I hope that you can as well.
American physician Frank Artress and his wife, educational counselor Susan Gustafson, founded the Foundation for African Medicine & Education after Frank’s near-death experience on Mt. Kilimanjaro. After moving to Tanzania, the couple has overcome logistical, financial, governmental and cultural obstacles to build a 12-bed hospital, a thriving medical clinic, a state of the art clinical lab, and a mobile clinic outreach program delivering health care and education to remote areas of the country.
FAME Napa Valley was created in 2010 to support the Foundation for African Medicine & Education (FAME) by Peter and Katie Mondavi, Chris and Christina Madrigal of Madrigal Estate Winery, and Rudy and Rita von Strasser of von Strasser Winery. Katie Mondavi, who served on the clinical faculty of Stanford University Hospital and as an assistant clinical professor of medicine at UCSF, returned to Tanzania this year for the second time to volunteer in FAME’s bush clinics.
Katie explained, “Only by being there could I appreciate the enormity of what Frank and Susan have accomplished. They are making a vital difference in the day-to-day lives of the Tanzanian people who, despite all their health challenges, exude friendliness and live their lives at a rhythmic, gentle pace. At the end of my stay, I realized that the experience might have helped me more than it helped them.”
Please take a few moments to watch this inspiring video.
Details of the Event
The May 6 event will take place from 2 - 5pm on the Great Lawn at Charles Krug Winery in St. Helena. Festivities will include ballads and folk songs performed by Nigeria’s renowned Baba Ken Okulolo and The Nigerian Brothers, whose harmonious voices, guitar and percussion accompaniment bring their love of Africa to life. Diamano Coura West African Dance Company will also perform.
In honor of the benefit’s theme, attendees will enjoy an African-style barbecue. Bistro Don Giovanni, JoLe and other fine Napa Valley restaurants will also serve samples of their creations.
Proprietors and winemakers from Fleury Winery, Karl Lawrence Cellars, Madrigal Vineyards, Sequoia Grove, Switchback Ridge, von Strasser Winery and Charles Krug will pour their wines at this intimate walk-around food and wine party. Sparkling wine will also be served.
Artress and Gustafson will be honored guests at the May 6 event, a live auction conducted by auctioneer David Reynolds will complement last year’s popular silent auction of sought-after wines.
Tickets for FAME Napa Valley’s Wine Auction and Concert on the Lawn are $50 in advance (www.famenapavalley.org), or $75 at the door.
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook. Also check out our comprehensive Northern California winery listings. They are very useful for planning a tasting trip or just getting in touch with a winery.
Portions of this article are original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2012 NorCal Wine. Photos and video courtesy of FAME. All rights reserved.