Subscribe to Blog via RSS
Search for Events
Recent Blog Articles
- 'Tis the Season to be Zinful
- New Tasting Rooms & a Grand Opening in Lodi
- How You Can Contribute to Earthquake Relief in Napa
- A Tale of Two Conferences
- Cats and Dogs Blogging Together
- Getting the Wine Bloggers Conference We Deserve
- New White Wines and Rosés from Rutherford's Day in the Dust
- 6 More California Rhone Wines to Try at Rhone Rangers
- Lodi Zinfandel Goes Native
- Study: Researchers Discover New Taste
- He Wasn't Talking To You, Mr. Outrage
- 16 North Coast Rhones to Try and a Toothsome #WineChat
- Howell Mountain Spring Tasting Wrap Up
- Of Tasting Notes and Photographs
- Rhone Rangers Tastings and Rhone-Variety Wines Tasted
- More Thoughts on Blind vs. Non-Blind Tasting
- A Great Tasting on Balance
- How Critics Taste Wines - On Blind Tasting
- On "Unexpected Napa Valley Wines"
- Robert Parker's Advice to Wine Writers
Recent Wines of the Day
- 2010 Moone-Tsai Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2009 Hawk and Horse Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2010 Skinner Vineyards Estate Mourvedre, El Dorado
- 2012 Masut Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir, Mendocino County
- 2010 Gallica Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2011 Harney Lane Old Vine Zinfandel Lizzy James Vineyard Lodi
- 2006 Santana Supernatural Rosé by Mumm Napa
- 2011 Jekel Riesling Monterey and 2011 Jekel Pinot Noir Santa Barbara
- 2012 Matthiasson Chardonnay Linda Vista Vineyard Napa Valley
- Review from the Cellar - 2010 Qupé Mourvedre Ibarra-Young Vineyard
- 2012 Tres Sabores Rosé “Ingrid and Julia” Napa Valley
- 2011 Testarossa Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2009 Lucia Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- Review: 2009 Buccella Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2008 Vin Roc Cabernet Sauvignon Atlas Peak Napa Valley
- 2009 Cornerstone Cellars “The Cornerstone” Napa Valley
- 2009 Laetitia Pinot Noir Single Vineyard La Colline Arroyo Grande Valley
- 2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
- 2012 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Kerner Lodi AVA
- 2010 Wren Hop Pinot Noir “Fire Messenger” Sonoma Coast
NorCal Wine Blog
Explore Old Vine Zinfandel and more at ZAP 2013
- Tasting Event
- Written by Fred Swan
- Tuesday, 08 January 2013 21:29
The 2013 ZAP Festival takes place January 31 - February 2 in San Francisco. Four events make up the festival hosted by the Zinfandel Advocates & Producers. There’s something for everyone with a passion for Zinfandel. Follow the links for more information and tickets.
Epicuria: Restaurants and wineries will delight you with thoughtful pairings of Zinfandel and delicious bites. This is an event I always enjoy. I usually “discover” an excellent new restaurant and wineries often pour a wine that won’t be available during the Grand Tasting.
Flights: Leading winemakers guide you through a tasting of 16 old vine Zinfandel wines. Old vine Zinfandel, almost exclusive to California, is fascinating. The wines are unique and every vineyard has a story too. This tasting will be well worth your time.
Winemakers Dinner: More than 25 winemakers will pour at this seated, gala dinner. I’ve not attended this event in past years, but it looks fun. This year, there’s a 1940’s Casablanca theme.
Grand Tasting: Taste new releases from your favorite wineries or discover new ones at the world’s largest Zinfandel tasting. If you’re not sure where to start, here’s a short list of wineries not to miss (in alphabetical order): Bedrock Wine Company, Black Sears Estate, Cypher Winery, Gamba Vineyards, JC Cellars, McCay Cellars, Outpost Estate, Ridge Vineyards, Robert Biale Vineyards, Valdez Family
To get a better flavor for ZAP, see my reports on last year’s events:
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook. Also check out our comprehensive Northern California winery listings. They are very useful for planning a tasting trip or just getting in touch with a winery.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2013 NorCal Wine. All rights reserved.