Subscribe to Blog via RSS
Search for Events
Recent Blog Articles
- Comments and Analysis on the 2012 Barrel Samples at Passport to Cabernet
- On Baseball & Bubbly: Mumm Napa & San Francisco Giants Co-Brand Wine
- Balance - In the Eye of the Beholder
- Tasted—5 Rhone Variety Wines from Clos Solene
- 7 Wine Events for this Weekend, April 26 - 28
- Harlan, Dalla Valle, Bond & Other Highlights of ’13 Taste of Oakville
- The Best White Wines at Sonoma in the City 2013
- 5 Fun Wine Events for this Weekend, April 19 - 21
- California Cabernet Aging Potential - It’s Not About the Years, it’s the Character
- Tips on Buying a Wine Fridge
- The Paso Robles AVA - Too Big to File
- Fine Powder on Mount Veeder
- An "Interview" with Roger Ebert on Wine Criticism
- Enjoy Two Benefit Wine Events on April 20
- Great Wine Events for This Weekend, March 22 - 24 2013
- Buy a Nose
- Site Upgrade
- California Crushed It in 2012
- Zin Pourin' and Food Porn at ZAP Epicuria
- Kelly Fleming Winery: World-Class Cabernet Sauvignon, Timeless Beauty
Recent Wines of the Day
- 2009 Cornerstone Cellars “The Cornerstone” Napa Valley
- 2009 Laetitia Pinot Noir Single Vineyard La Colline Arroyo Grande Valley
- 2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
- 2012 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Kerner Lodi AVA
- 2010 Wren Hop Pinot Noir “Fire Messenger” Sonoma Coast
- 2011 Lucia Pinot Noir Soberanes Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2011 Roar Chardonnay Sierra Mar Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2010 Frostwatch Chardonnay Bennett Valley Sonoma County
- 2007 Smith-Madrone Cabernet Sauvignon Spring Mountain District Napa Valley
- 2012 Voss Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley
- 2012 Vina Robles Roseum Huerhuero Vineyard Paso Robles
- 2008 Hawk and Horse Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Red Hills AVA, Lake County
- 2011 Vina Robles White4
- 2010 Quivira Refuge Sauvignon Blanc
- 2007 Ampelos Delta Grenache
- 2008 Inman Family Thorn Ridge Ranch Pinot Noir
- 2010 DeLoach Estate Pinot Noir
- 2009 V. Sattui Zinfandel Gilsson Vineyard Russian River Valley
- 2009 Trinchero Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Chicken Ranch Vineyard, Rutherford
- 2009 McCay Cellars “Jupiter” Zinfandel
NorCal Wine Blog
Going to Our Happy Place
- Winery Profiles
- Written by Fred Swan
- Wednesday, 25 February 2009 23:19
Imagine yourself on an expansive wood terrace overlooking a beautiful vineyard. There is a light spring breeze in your face. Napa Valley sunlight is softened by the leaves of an ancient oak tree. Pepper the deck with your best friends. Give everyone a glass of fine, vintage sparkling wine. That is a “happy place” we’d all like to go to. And you can.
Mumm Napa has opened a new luxury terrace at their visitor center. For just $30, you can spend an afternoon lounging on the comfortable furniture with your feet up. And you get two flutes of gently-aged vintage sparkling wine from their library. If you prefer, you can choose a food pairing sampler for two. That comes with cheese, nuts, fruit and sparkling wine and is just $20. Additional options are available.
Mumm has long been one of our favorite California sparkling houses. We served their vintage Carneros Winery Lake at our wedding. Mumm Napa DVX is on our short-list of premium domestic sparklers that you can count on. They have a wide variety of wines available, some of which can be purchased on-site only.
Included among the wines available only in the tasting room is a new, non-vintage Santana Brut. It was poured at the Symposium for Professional Wine Writers and we sampled it again at the winery. It’s creamy but still crisp and offers flavors of both apple and red fruit along with rich toast and vanilla notes. Made by Mumm’s winemaker, Ludovic Dervin, with a unique dosage created in collaboration with musician Carlos Santana. A portion of all profits from the wine go to the Milagro Foundation and benefits underprivileged children.
Mumm Napa was founded in 1979, a joint venture between the famous Mumm family of Champagne and Seagram & Sons. It quickly developed a reputation as both a provider of fine sparkling wines and a very enjoyable destination for Napa Valley visitors. Now under the Pernod-Ricard umbrella, as are the Champagne houses of Mumm and Perrier-Jouet, Mumm Napa continues that heritage. They keep improving the experience for customers and Mumm Napa is also an active host of local events, including the 16th Annual Napa Valley Mustard Festival.
We checked out their new VIP area last week and really enjoyed our time there. After a morning blind-tasting 60 different Napa Cabernets, the crisp fruit, gentle toast and tiny bubbles in our glasses of vintage Blanc de Blancs were tremendously refreshing. The place looks great too, with ipe decking, stone terrace walls, and a sandy area closer down to the vineyard. If it’s a bit chilly out, there are fire pits to warm you. The seating is very plush. We could have stayed there all day. Sadly, duty called.
Mumm Napa is located in Rutherford at 8445 Silverado Trail, between Rutherford Cross Road and Oakville Cross Road. They are open daily for tours, tastings and private events. There is also a very nice photo gallery on site too. For more information on visiting the winery and exhibits, call 707-967-7700 or visit their website: http://www.mummnapa.com.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2009 NorCal Wine. All rights reserved.