Recent Blog Articles
- NorCal Wine Has Moved
- 'Tis the Season to be Zinful
- New Tasting Rooms & a Grand Opening in Lodi
- How You Can Contribute to Earthquake Relief in Napa
- A Tale of Two Conferences
- Cats and Dogs Blogging Together
- Getting the Wine Bloggers Conference We Deserve
- New White Wines and Rosés from Rutherford's Day in the Dust
- 6 More California Rhone Wines to Try at Rhone Rangers
- Lodi Zinfandel Goes Native
- Study: Researchers Discover New Taste
- He Wasn't Talking To You, Mr. Outrage
- 16 North Coast Rhones to Try and a Toothsome #WineChat
- Howell Mountain Spring Tasting Wrap Up
- Of Tasting Notes and Photographs
- Rhone Rangers Tastings and Rhone-Variety Wines Tasted
- More Thoughts on Blind vs. Non-Blind Tasting
- A Great Tasting on Balance
- How Critics Taste Wines - On Blind Tasting
- On "Unexpected Napa Valley Wines"
Recent Wines of the Day
- 2010 Moone-Tsai Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2009 Hawk and Horse Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2010 Skinner Vineyards Estate Mourvedre, El Dorado
- 2012 Masut Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir, Mendocino County
- 2010 Gallica Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2011 Harney Lane Old Vine Zinfandel Lizzy James Vineyard Lodi
- 2006 Santana Supernatural Rosé by Mumm Napa
- 2011 Jekel Riesling Monterey and 2011 Jekel Pinot Noir Santa Barbara
- 2012 Matthiasson Chardonnay Linda Vista Vineyard Napa Valley
- Review from the Cellar - 2010 Qupé Mourvedre Ibarra-Young Vineyard
- 2012 Tres Sabores Rosé “Ingrid and Julia” Napa Valley
- 2011 Testarossa Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2009 Lucia Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- Review: 2009 Buccella Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2008 Vin Roc Cabernet Sauvignon Atlas Peak Napa Valley
- 2009 Cornerstone Cellars “The Cornerstone” Napa Valley
- 2009 Laetitia Pinot Noir Single Vineyard La Colline Arroyo Grande Valley
- 2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
- 2012 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Kerner Lodi AVA
- 2010 Wren Hop Pinot Noir “Fire Messenger” Sonoma Coast
NorCal Wine Blog
Profile of McCay Cellars: Video Interview with Michael McCay, Photos, More
- Winery Profiles
- Written by Fred Swan
- Monday, 12 March 2012 19:09
McCay Cellars is a small, family-owned winery in Lodi. They make boutique quantities of high-quality wines. The winery is best known for old vine Zinfandel, but they produce a variety of wines using their estate Petite Sirah and grapes sourced from other top vineyards in the area.
The McCay Cellars Zinfandels have a different profile than most from Lodi. Proprietor/winemaker Michael McCay brings an old world sensibility to his wines. They are dry, aged only in French oak and as notable for their texture as for their complexity.
I recently spent a day at the winery and vineyards with Michael McCay. That day he and his team were bottling five wines. McCay Cellars Contention Zinfandel, a new high-end production, was among them. It’s a single-vineyard Zinfandel from a very unique, old-vine site. Michael McCay provides more detail on that vineyard and his wines overall in the video below.
McCay Cellars will release the 2010 Contention Zinfandel in about six months.
McCay Cellars makes much of their Zinfandel from old-vine grapes. This vine is nearly 100 years old. It's trunk is thick as a man's thigh.
McCay Cellars red wines are aged only in French oak. Some get a high-percentage of new oak, others more neutral. Some of the wines are put into hogsheads or puncheons. These over-sized barrels impart less oak flavor on the wines because the ratio of oak surface area to wine volume is lower than with a standard barrel.
After aging in French oak, McCay Cellars red wines, such as this 2009 Truluck's Zinfandel, are transferred to a stainless steel tank for bottling.
McCay Cellars is also releasing a rosé this year. It looks fizzy here because of the bottling process. It is a still wine.
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook. Also check out our comprehensive Northern California winery listings. They are very useful for planning a tasting trip or just getting in touch with a winery.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2012 NorCal Wine. Photos and video by Fred Swan. All rights reserved.