Subscribe to Blog via RSS
Search for Events
Recent Blog Articles
- 6 More California Rhone Wines to Try at Rhone Rangers
- Lodi Zinfandel Goes Native
- Study: Researchers Discover New Taste
- He Wasn't Talking To You, Mr. Outrage
- 16 North Coast Rhones to Try and a Toothsome #WineChat
- How Many Wines do Critics Taste per Day?
- Howell Mountain Spring Tasting Wrap Up
- Of Tasting Notes and Photographs
- Rhone Rangers Tastings and Rhone-Variety Wines Tasted
- How Critics Taste Wines - Glassware
- More Thoughts on Blind vs. Non-Blind Tasting
- A Great Tasting on Balance
- How Critics Taste Wines - On Blind Tasting
- On "Unexpected Napa Valley Wines"
- Robert Parker's Advice to Wine Writers
- Biodynamic Cabernet of Grace from Wise Acre Vineyards
- Back Labels I Can Get Behind
- Napa Valley Premiere - Competitive Juices Yield Record Prices
- Robert Parker Scores and Misses
- 18 Delicious Zinfandels You Need to Try at ZAP
Recent Wines of the Day
- 2010 Moone-Tsai Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2009 Hawk and Horse Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2010 Skinner Vineyards Estate Mourvedre, El Dorado
- 2012 Masut Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir, Mendocino County
- 2010 Gallica Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2011 Harney Lane Old Vine Zinfandel Lizzy James Vineyard Lodi
- 2006 Santana Supernatural Rosé by Mumm Napa
- 2011 Jekel Riesling Monterey and 2011 Jekel Pinot Noir Santa Barbara
- 2012 Matthiasson Chardonnay Linda Vista Vineyard Napa Valley
- Review from the Cellar - 2010 Qupé Mourvedre Ibarra-Young Vineyard
- 2012 Tres Sabores Rosé “Ingrid and Julia” Napa Valley
- 2011 Testarossa Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2009 Lucia Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- Review: 2009 Buccella Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2008 Vin Roc Cabernet Sauvignon Atlas Peak Napa Valley
- 2009 Cornerstone Cellars “The Cornerstone” Napa Valley
- 2009 Laetitia Pinot Noir Single Vineyard La Colline Arroyo Grande Valley
- 2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
- 2012 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Kerner Lodi AVA
- 2010 Wren Hop Pinot Noir “Fire Messenger” Sonoma Coast
NorCal Wine Blog
How Big is the California Wine Industry?
- General Interest
- Written by Fred Swan
- Wednesday, 24 August 2011 20:36
California Governor Jerry Brown has declared September, 2011 California Wine Month. There are a lot of reasons for California to raise a glass to its wine industry all month long. Deliciousness is a good one.
However, when you’re selling a Governor on making a proclamation, “Because it’s yummy,” is not a sufficient argument. Governors like facts and numbers and revenue. Fortunately, the California wine industry has a lot of those.
Here are three of the statistics Governor Jerry Brown’s proclamation cites:
- Retail sales revenue of $18.4 billion
- 330,000 jobs in California
- 20.7 million tourists attracted
Those numbers sound pretty good. But, in the abstract, it’s hard to really understand their significance. I’ve tried to put the numbers into perspective by comparing them to others.
Compare retail sales of $18.4 billion to:
- The entire GDP of Paraguay: $18.5 billion1
- 2010 U.S. movie box office revenue: $10.6 billion2
Compare 330,000 jobs to:
- The total combined employees of Adobe, Amazon, Apple, eBay, Google, Intel, Microsoft and Yahoo!: 326,5003
- The population of St. Louis, Missouri: 319,2944
Compare 20.7 million tourists to:
- The combined populations of New York state (19.4 million) and New Hampshire (1.3 million)5
- The combined populations of Belgium (10.9 million) and Sweden (9.4 million)6
- Total 2007 visitors to the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Florida: 17 million7
- Total 2010 attendance for NFL games: 16.4 million8
- Total airline passengers served by San Francisco International Airport: 18.5 million9
If you liked this article, you may also be interested in these:
Fun Facts about California Cabernet Sauvignon
Become a Certified California Wine Appellation Specialist
1 The World Bank: World Development Indicators database. World Bank. 1 July 2011.
2 MPAA: Theatrical Market Statistics 2010
3 9to5mac.com: "Apple Employees Most Productive Each Works Out to 420000 in Yearly Profits"
4 Wikipedia: List of United States cities by population
5 usgovernmentspending.com: GDP by state
6 Wikipedia: List of countries by population
7 thedisneyblog.com: Disney Theme Park Attendance - The Numbers Game
8 ESPN: NFL attendance - 2010
9 Wikipedia: Busiest airports in the US by total passenger boardings
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook. Also check out our comprehensive Northern California winery listings. They are very useful for planning a tasting trip or just getting in touch with a winery.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2011 NorCal Wine. CA Wine Month logo property of California Wine Month/Wine Institute. All rights reserved.