Subscribe to Blog via RSS
Search for Events
Recent Blog Articles
- How Critics Taste Wines - On Blind Tasting
- On "Unexpected Napa Valley Wines"
- Robert Parker's Advice to Wine Writers
- Biodynamic Cabernet of Grace from Wise Acre Vineyards
- Back Labels I Can Get Behind
- Napa Valley Premiere - Competitive Juices Yield Record Prices
- Robert Parker Scores and Misses
- 18 Delicious Zinfandels You Need to Try at ZAP
- Awesome Sauvignon Blanc in Santa Ynez Valley
- It's Not Too Late! Downloadable Gifts for Wine Lovers
- 4 Great Gifts for Wine Collectors
- Recapping an Epic Tasting of 1968 Cabernet Sauvignon
- A Blow to the Stomach - SF Chronicle to End Standalone Food Section?
- New Pinot Noir and Cabernet Releases from Sojourn Cellars
- Fervor versus Flavors
- Update: Missing Articles on NorCalWine
- Thoughts on the Inaugural Pine Mountain-Cloverdale Peak AVA Tasting
- Body Count - On Describing the Body of Wine
- Lateral Moves North
- Enjoy an Epic Tasting of 1968 Napa Valley Cabernets and Other Upcoming Events
Recent Wines of the Day
- 2010 Gallica Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2011 Harney Lane Old Vine Zinfandel Lizzy James Vineyard Lodi
- 2006 Santana Supernatural Rosé by Mumm Napa
- 2011 Jekel Riesling Monterey and 2011 Jekel Pinot Noir Santa Barbara
- 2012 Matthiasson Chardonnay Linda Vista Vineyard Napa Valley
- Review from the Cellar - 2010 Qupé Mourvedre Ibarra-Young Vineyard
- 2012 Tres Sabores Rosé “Ingrid and Julia” Napa Valley
- 2011 Testarossa Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2009 Lucia Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- Review: 2009 Buccella Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2008 Vin Roc Cabernet Sauvignon Atlas Peak Napa Valley
- 2009 Cornerstone Cellars “The Cornerstone” Napa Valley
- 2009 Laetitia Pinot Noir Single Vineyard La Colline Arroyo Grande Valley
- 2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
- 2012 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Kerner Lodi AVA
- 2010 Wren Hop Pinot Noir “Fire Messenger” Sonoma Coast
- 2011 Lucia Pinot Noir Soberanes Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2011 Roar Chardonnay Sierra Mar Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2010 Frostwatch Chardonnay Bennett Valley Sonoma County
- 2007 Smith-Madrone Cabernet Sauvignon Spring Mountain District Napa Valley
NorCal Wine Blog
Robert Parker Apologizes, Wine Comes to Sports Talk Radio
- General Interest
- Written by Fred Swan
- Monday, 05 March 2012 21:25
eBob Apoligizes for Being Excessively Popular
Alice Fering will be disappointed. Robert Parker, or at least eRobertParker.com apologized today. But the apology wasn't for giving high ratings to bold wines. Rather, it was for having ratings of bold wines — 2009 Bordeaux — that were more popular than the eRobertParker.com servers could handle. The online edition of Robert Parker's 2009 Bordeaux report went online late last week, along with the rest of The Wine Advocate #199. Apparently, all of eBob's subscribers wanted to read it — at the every same time.
I admit to being part of the problem but I was also a victim thereof. I wanted to read Antonio Galloni's Sonoma Report. Load times on the site varied from long to "come back another day." Online subscribers received the following message by email today:
"The release of the 2009 Bordeaux review created massive attention around the globe. With that came absolutely unprecedented traffic to eRobertParker.com. We took a number of measures in advance to handle the anticipated load but, despite them, the traffic was overwhelming. For this we offer our sincere apologies. We take customer service very seriously and we believe that providing you with the world's best and most responsive source of wine information is our essential mission.
We have already started planning for a substantial technology upgrade to the site to make sure we don't disappoint you again. We anticipate having these upgrades in place before we post the April issue."
Another Bob Get's My Hopes Up
I was on a midday drive today, looking to score some bubbly at a local shop. My ears perked up when I heard Bob Fitzgerald of sports talk behemoth KNBR repeatedly tease a great wine story. I was disappointed but not entirely suprised when the story turned out to be about a wine called "Sexual Chocolate." The story is genuinely interesting and Fitzgerald has a familial connection to Cal Poly. But I suspect the time wouldn't have made the broadcast if the wine was just called "SLO Down Wines Red Blend."
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook. Also check out our comprehensive Northern California winery listings. They are very useful for planning a tasting trip or just getting in touch with a winery.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2012 NorCal Wine. Sexual Chocolate photo from SLO Down Wines Inc. All rights reserved.