Subscribe to Blog via RSS
Search for Events
Recent Blog Articles
- Comments and Analysis on the 2012 Barrel Samples at Passport to Cabernet
- On Baseball & Bubbly: Mumm Napa & San Francisco Giants Co-Brand Wine
- Balance - In the Eye of the Beholder
- Tasted—5 Rhone Variety Wines from Clos Solene
- 7 Wine Events for this Weekend, April 26 - 28
- Harlan, Dalla Valle, Bond & Other Highlights of ’13 Taste of Oakville
- The Best White Wines at Sonoma in the City 2013
- 5 Fun Wine Events for this Weekend, April 19 - 21
- California Cabernet Aging Potential - It’s Not About the Years, it’s the Character
- Tips on Buying a Wine Fridge
- The Paso Robles AVA - Too Big to File
- Fine Powder on Mount Veeder
- An "Interview" with Roger Ebert on Wine Criticism
- Enjoy Two Benefit Wine Events on April 20
- Great Wine Events for This Weekend, March 22 - 24 2013
- Buy a Nose
- Site Upgrade
- California Crushed It in 2012
- Zin Pourin' and Food Porn at ZAP Epicuria
- Kelly Fleming Winery: World-Class Cabernet Sauvignon, Timeless Beauty
Recent Wines of the Day
- 2009 Cornerstone Cellars “The Cornerstone” Napa Valley
- 2009 Laetitia Pinot Noir Single Vineyard La Colline Arroyo Grande Valley
- 2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
- 2012 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Kerner Lodi AVA
- 2010 Wren Hop Pinot Noir “Fire Messenger” Sonoma Coast
- 2011 Lucia Pinot Noir Soberanes Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2011 Roar Chardonnay Sierra Mar Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2010 Frostwatch Chardonnay Bennett Valley Sonoma County
- 2007 Smith-Madrone Cabernet Sauvignon Spring Mountain District Napa Valley
- 2012 Voss Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley
- 2012 Vina Robles Roseum Huerhuero Vineyard Paso Robles
- 2008 Hawk and Horse Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Red Hills AVA, Lake County
- 2011 Vina Robles White4
- 2010 Quivira Refuge Sauvignon Blanc
- 2007 Ampelos Delta Grenache
- 2008 Inman Family Thorn Ridge Ranch Pinot Noir
- 2010 DeLoach Estate Pinot Noir
- 2009 V. Sattui Zinfandel Gilsson Vineyard Russian River Valley
- 2009 Trinchero Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Chicken Ranch Vineyard, Rutherford
- 2009 McCay Cellars “Jupiter” Zinfandel
NorCal Wine Blog
Quiz: Which County Grows the Most Syrah?
- General Interest
- Written by Fred Swan
- Friday, 20 April 2012 15:01
There’s been a lot of focus on California Syrah for the last month or so. There was the Rhone Rangers’ San Francisco event. Hospice du Rhone is just around the corner. Articles such as Jon Bonne’s examination of Sonoma Coast Syrah in the San Francisco Chronicle have dialed in on specific regions and styles of Syrah.
California Wine Quiz
In 2011, there were 19,009 acres planted to Syrah in California. You can find at least a little bit in most every wine region of the state. But, Which county in California has the most Syrah acreage?
Scroll down for the answer.
San Luis Obispo County, which includes the Paso Robles AVA, had 2,681 acres of Syrah as of last year. That’s more than any other county in the state. Here’s a breakdown of the top 10 counties for Syrah:
|San Luis Obispo||2,681|
Statistics from NASS.
The 2012 Hospice du Rhone takes place in Paso Robles, April 27 - 28. For more information and to get tickets visit www.hospicedurhone.org.
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook. Also check out our comprehensive Northern California winery listings. They are very useful for planning a tasting trip or just getting in touch with a winery.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2012 NorCal Wine. All rights reserved.