Recent Blog Articles
- NorCal Wine Has Moved
- 'Tis the Season to be Zinful
- New Tasting Rooms & a Grand Opening in Lodi
- How You Can Contribute to Earthquake Relief in Napa
- A Tale of Two Conferences
- Cats and Dogs Blogging Together
- Getting the Wine Bloggers Conference We Deserve
- New White Wines and Rosés from Rutherford's Day in the Dust
- 6 More California Rhone Wines to Try at Rhone Rangers
- Lodi Zinfandel Goes Native
- Study: Researchers Discover New Taste
- He Wasn't Talking To You, Mr. Outrage
- 16 North Coast Rhones to Try and a Toothsome #WineChat
- Howell Mountain Spring Tasting Wrap Up
- Of Tasting Notes and Photographs
- Rhone Rangers Tastings and Rhone-Variety Wines Tasted
- More Thoughts on Blind vs. Non-Blind Tasting
- A Great Tasting on Balance
- How Critics Taste Wines - On Blind Tasting
- On "Unexpected Napa Valley Wines"
Recent Wines of the Day
- 2010 Moone-Tsai Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2009 Hawk and Horse Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2010 Skinner Vineyards Estate Mourvedre, El Dorado
- 2012 Masut Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir, Mendocino County
- 2010 Gallica Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2011 Harney Lane Old Vine Zinfandel Lizzy James Vineyard Lodi
- 2006 Santana Supernatural Rosé by Mumm Napa
- 2011 Jekel Riesling Monterey and 2011 Jekel Pinot Noir Santa Barbara
- 2012 Matthiasson Chardonnay Linda Vista Vineyard Napa Valley
- Review from the Cellar - 2010 Qupé Mourvedre Ibarra-Young Vineyard
- 2012 Tres Sabores Rosé “Ingrid and Julia” Napa Valley
- 2011 Testarossa Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2009 Lucia Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- Review: 2009 Buccella Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2008 Vin Roc Cabernet Sauvignon Atlas Peak Napa Valley
- 2009 Cornerstone Cellars “The Cornerstone” Napa Valley
- 2009 Laetitia Pinot Noir Single Vineyard La Colline Arroyo Grande Valley
- 2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
- 2012 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Kerner Lodi AVA
- 2010 Wren Hop Pinot Noir “Fire Messenger” Sonoma Coast
NorCal Wine Blog
California Wine by the Numbers
- General Interest
- Written by Fred Swan
- Wednesday, 29 August 2012 15:17
For the eighth consecutive year, September has been declared California Wine Month. So, bypass Bordeaux and Burgundy, relegate the Rhones and mosey on past the Mosel. Drink CA in September. Or, if that’s your typical drinking pattern, you can feel smug for 30 days.
California Wine by the Numbers
- 1769 – The year wine grapes were first planted in California (by the Spanish at Mission San Diego de Alcala)
- 3,364 – The number of bonded wineries in California (as of 2010)
- 115 – The number of officially designated AVAs in California
- 253 – The number of total acres in the country’s smallest AVA, Cole Ranch in Mendocino County. Esterlina is the AVA’s sole vineyard owner and winery.
- 4,000,000 – The total acres encompassed by California’s largest AVA, the Central Coast, which stretches about 250 miles and includes both San Francisco and Santa Barbara County.
- 256,600,000 – The number of cases of California wine sold worldwide in 2011. 83% of those sales were domestic.
- 5.6 – Percentage growth of case sales in 2011 over the previous year.
- 19,900,000,000 – The estimated retail dollar value of California’s 2011 domestic wine sales
Learn More about California’s Wines and AVAs
Despite California’s importance in the global wine market and the high quality of much of the wine, it remains underserved most wine schools and certifying bodies. San Francisco Wine School offers the world’s only certification in California wine regions. The California Wine Appellation Specialist program, for which I am an instructor, is a seven-class series. Past graduates have included avid consumers, Master Sommeliers, winery personnel and members of the trade. The next course begins on September 5. Enroll or get more information here.
Statistics: California Wine Institute
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook. Also check out our comprehensive Northern California winery listings. They are very useful for planning a tasting trip or just getting in touch with a winery.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2012 NorCal Wine. All rights reserved.