Subscribe to Blog via RSS
Search for Events
Recent Blog Articles
- Comments and Analysis on the 2012 Barrel Samples at Passport to Cabernet
- On Baseball & Bubbly: Mumm Napa & San Francisco Giants Co-Brand Wine
- Balance - In the Eye of the Beholder
- Tasted—5 Rhone Variety Wines from Clos Solene
- 7 Wine Events for this Weekend, April 26 - 28
- Harlan, Dalla Valle, Bond & Other Highlights of ’13 Taste of Oakville
- The Best White Wines at Sonoma in the City 2013
- 5 Fun Wine Events for this Weekend, April 19 - 21
- California Cabernet Aging Potential - It’s Not About the Years, it’s the Character
- Tips on Buying a Wine Fridge
- The Paso Robles AVA - Too Big to File
- Fine Powder on Mount Veeder
- An "Interview" with Roger Ebert on Wine Criticism
- Enjoy Two Benefit Wine Events on April 20
- Great Wine Events for This Weekend, March 22 - 24 2013
- Buy a Nose
- Site Upgrade
- California Crushed It in 2012
- Zin Pourin' and Food Porn at ZAP Epicuria
- Kelly Fleming Winery: World-Class Cabernet Sauvignon, Timeless Beauty
Recent Wines of the Day
- 2009 Cornerstone Cellars “The Cornerstone” Napa Valley
- 2009 Laetitia Pinot Noir Single Vineyard La Colline Arroyo Grande Valley
- 2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
- 2012 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Kerner Lodi AVA
- 2010 Wren Hop Pinot Noir “Fire Messenger” Sonoma Coast
- 2011 Lucia Pinot Noir Soberanes Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2011 Roar Chardonnay Sierra Mar Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2010 Frostwatch Chardonnay Bennett Valley Sonoma County
- 2007 Smith-Madrone Cabernet Sauvignon Spring Mountain District Napa Valley
- 2012 Voss Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley
- 2012 Vina Robles Roseum Huerhuero Vineyard Paso Robles
- 2008 Hawk and Horse Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Red Hills AVA, Lake County
- 2011 Vina Robles White4
- 2010 Quivira Refuge Sauvignon Blanc
- 2007 Ampelos Delta Grenache
- 2008 Inman Family Thorn Ridge Ranch Pinot Noir
- 2010 DeLoach Estate Pinot Noir
- 2009 V. Sattui Zinfandel Gilsson Vineyard Russian River Valley
- 2009 Trinchero Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Chicken Ranch Vineyard, Rutherford
- 2009 McCay Cellars “Jupiter” Zinfandel
NorCal Wine Blog
California Wine by the Numbers
- General Interest
- Written by Fred Swan
- Wednesday, 29 August 2012 15:17
For the eighth consecutive year, September has been declared California Wine Month. So, bypass Bordeaux and Burgundy, relegate the Rhones and mosey on past the Mosel. Drink CA in September. Or, if that’s your typical drinking pattern, you can feel smug for 30 days.
California Wine by the Numbers
- 1769 – The year wine grapes were first planted in California (by the Spanish at Mission San Diego de Alcala)
- 3,364 – The number of bonded wineries in California (as of 2010)
- 115 – The number of officially designated AVAs in California
- 253 – The number of total acres in the country’s smallest AVA, Cole Ranch in Mendocino County. Esterlina is the AVA’s sole vineyard owner and winery.
- 4,000,000 – The total acres encompassed by California’s largest AVA, the Central Coast, which stretches about 250 miles and includes both San Francisco and Santa Barbara County.
- 256,600,000 – The number of cases of California wine sold worldwide in 2011. 83% of those sales were domestic.
- 5.6 – Percentage growth of case sales in 2011 over the previous year.
- 19,900,000,000 – The estimated retail dollar value of California’s 2011 domestic wine sales
Learn More about California’s Wines and AVAs
Despite California’s importance in the global wine market and the high quality of much of the wine, it remains underserved most wine schools and certifying bodies. San Francisco Wine School offers the world’s only certification in California wine regions. The California Wine Appellation Specialist program, for which I am an instructor, is a seven-class series. Past graduates have included avid consumers, Master Sommeliers, winery personnel and members of the trade. The next course begins on September 5. Enroll or get more information here.
Statistics: California Wine Institute
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook. Also check out our comprehensive Northern California winery listings. They are very useful for planning a tasting trip or just getting in touch with a winery.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2012 NorCal Wine. All rights reserved.