Subscribe to Blog via RSS
Search for Events
Recent Blog Articles
- New White Wines and Rosés from Rutherford's Day in the Dust
- Examining 2011 Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon
- 6 More California Rhone Wines to Try at Rhone Rangers
- Lodi Zinfandel Goes Native
- Study: Researchers Discover New Taste
- He Wasn't Talking To You, Mr. Outrage
- 16 North Coast Rhones to Try and a Toothsome #WineChat
- How Many Wines do Critics Taste per Day?
- Howell Mountain Spring Tasting Wrap Up
- Of Tasting Notes and Photographs
- Rhone Rangers Tastings and Rhone-Variety Wines Tasted
- How Critics Taste Wines - Glassware
- More Thoughts on Blind vs. Non-Blind Tasting
- A Great Tasting on Balance
- How Critics Taste Wines - On Blind Tasting
- On "Unexpected Napa Valley Wines"
- Robert Parker's Advice to Wine Writers
- Biodynamic Cabernet of Grace from Wise Acre Vineyards
- Back Labels I Can Get Behind
- Napa Valley Premiere - Competitive Juices Yield Record Prices
Recent Wines of the Day
- 2010 Moone-Tsai Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2009 Hawk and Horse Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2010 Skinner Vineyards Estate Mourvedre, El Dorado
- 2012 Masut Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir, Mendocino County
- 2010 Gallica Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2011 Harney Lane Old Vine Zinfandel Lizzy James Vineyard Lodi
- 2006 Santana Supernatural Rosé by Mumm Napa
- 2011 Jekel Riesling Monterey and 2011 Jekel Pinot Noir Santa Barbara
- 2012 Matthiasson Chardonnay Linda Vista Vineyard Napa Valley
- Review from the Cellar - 2010 Qupé Mourvedre Ibarra-Young Vineyard
- 2012 Tres Sabores Rosé “Ingrid and Julia” Napa Valley
- 2011 Testarossa Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2009 Lucia Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- Review: 2009 Buccella Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2008 Vin Roc Cabernet Sauvignon Atlas Peak Napa Valley
- 2009 Cornerstone Cellars “The Cornerstone” Napa Valley
- 2009 Laetitia Pinot Noir Single Vineyard La Colline Arroyo Grande Valley
- 2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
- 2012 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Kerner Lodi AVA
- 2010 Wren Hop Pinot Noir “Fire Messenger” Sonoma Coast
NorCal Wine Blog
Bill Price Buys Gap's Crown Vineyard in Sonoma Coast AVA
- General Interest
- Written by Fred Swan
- Wednesday, 23 January 2013 20:23
Bill Price, proprietor of Classic Wines, LLC and Price Family Vineyards, LLC has acquired the Gap's Crown Vineyard, along with 268 acres of contiguous land for an undisclosed sum. Gap's Crown is a highly-sought after source for Sonoma Coast AVA Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. The land was purchased from Premier Pacific Vineyards, a Napa-based vineyard investment and management firm. Premier Pacific owns 18 other vineyards in California and Oregon.
The Gap's Crown Vineyard holds 106 acres of Pinot Noir (clones 115, 667 and 828) and 32 acres of Chardonnay (clones include Dijon 95 and 124) planted in 2002 and 2007 on rocky, well-drained soil with a clay loam base. It is a hilly vineyard with a northwest facing and ranges from 300 to 800 feet above sea level. It sits at the mouth of the Petaluma wind gap, directly east from the town of Rohnert Park. The vineyard is classified as Region 1 (cool climate) on the Winkler scale due to fresh evening winds that pour into the gap from the ocean less than 15 miles to the west. Warm sunny days develop rich, fruit-driven flavors while the cool nights maintain acidity and retard sugar development, allowing harvests as late as October.
Wines made from Gap's Crown Pinot Noir tend to be rich and concentrated, yet balanced and complex. Producers that have used Gap's Crown fruit in the past include Anaba, Kosta Browne Winery, MacPhail, Patz & Hall, Paul Hobbs Winery and Sojourn Cellars. Under its new ownership, Gap's Crown fruit will still be available to a variety of producers.
In addition to ownership of the Durell Vineyard and other vineyards, plus stakes in four wineries, Bill Price is chairman of both Kosta Browne Winery and Gary Farrell Winery. 37 vneyard acres will be leased from the newly formed Gap's Crown LLC to Kosta Browne Winery which will use it as the basis for a new estate-vineyard program. "It has been the backbone of our Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir program and contributed to our 2009 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir being awarded Wine Spectator's #1 Wine of the Year in 2011," says Michael Browne, founder of Kosta Browne Winery. Bill Price was unavailable for comment today.
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook. Also check out our comprehensive Northern California winery listings. They are very useful for planning a tasting trip or just getting in touch with a winery.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2013 NorCal Wine. All rights reserved.