Search for Events
Recent Blog Articles
- 4 Great Gifts for Wine Collectors
- Recapping an Epic Tasting of 1968 Cabernet Sauvignon
- A Blow to the Stomach - SF Chronicle to End Standalone Food Section?
- New Pinot Noir and Cabernet Releases from Sojourn Cellars
- Fervor versus Flavors
- Update: Missing Articles on NorCalWine
- Thoughts on the Inaugural Pine Mountain-Cloverdale Peak AVA Tasting
- Body Count - On Describing the Body of Wine
- Lateral Moves North
- Enjoy an Epic Tasting of 1968 Napa Valley Cabernets and Other Upcoming Events
- Charles Banks Acquires Historic Qupé Winery In the Santa Maria Valley Appellation
- Spotlight on the Moon Mountain District Sonoma County AVA
- Tasting the Wines of Andrew Murray Vineyards
- Mendocino Sparkles
- Discovering Mendocino
- Review: New California Wine by Jon Bonné
- 12 Things You Should Know about Sake
- Tasting Report: 14th Annual Mt. Veeder Appellation Tasting
- New Research: How Our Brains Categorize Aromas
- Upcoming Wine Events for September 20 - 23
Most Read Articles
Explore Old Vine Zinfandel and more at ZAP 2013
- Tasting Event
- Written by Fred Swan
- Tuesday, 08 January 2013 21:29
The 2013 ZAP Festival takes place January 31 - February 2 in San Francisco. Four events make up the festival hosted by the Zinfandel Advocates & Producers. There’s something for everyone with a passion for Zinfandel. Follow the links for more information and tickets.
Epicuria: Restaurants and wineries will delight you with thoughtful pairings of Zinfandel and delicious bites. This is an event I always enjoy. I usually “discover” an excellent new restaurant and wineries often pour a wine that won’t be available during the Grand Tasting.
Flights: Leading winemakers guide you through a tasting of 16 old vine Zinfandel wines. Old vine Zinfandel, almost exclusive to California, is fascinating. The wines are unique and every vineyard has a story too. This tasting will be well worth your time.
Winemakers Dinner: More than 25 winemakers will pour at this seated, gala dinner. I’ve not attended this event in past years, but it looks fun. This year, there’s a 1940’s Casablanca theme.
Grand Tasting: Taste new releases from your favorite wineries or discover new ones at the world’s largest Zinfandel tasting. If you’re not sure where to start, here’s a short list of wineries not to miss (in alphabetical order): Bedrock Wine Company, Black Sears Estate, Cypher Winery, Gamba Vineyards, JC Cellars, McCay Cellars, Outpost Estate, Ridge Vineyards, Robert Biale Vineyards, Valdez Family
To get a better flavor for ZAP, see my reports on last year’s events:
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook. Also check out our comprehensive Northern California winery listings. They are very useful for planning a tasting trip or just getting in touch with a winery.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2013 NorCal Wine. All rights reserved.