Subscribe to Blog via RSS
Search for Events
Recent Blog Articles
- On a Vertical Tasting of Grgich-Hills Cabernet Sauvignon Yountville Selection
- A Tale of Two Conferences
- Cats and Dogs Blogging Together
- Getting the Wine Bloggers Conference We Deserve
- New White Wines and Rosés from Rutherford's Day in the Dust
- Examining 2011 Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon
- 6 More California Rhone Wines to Try at Rhone Rangers
- Lodi Zinfandel Goes Native
- Study: Researchers Discover New Taste
- He Wasn't Talking To You, Mr. Outrage
- 16 North Coast Rhones to Try and a Toothsome #WineChat
- How Many Wines do Critics Taste per Day?
- Howell Mountain Spring Tasting Wrap Up
- Of Tasting Notes and Photographs
- Rhone Rangers Tastings and Rhone-Variety Wines Tasted
- How Critics Taste Wines - Glassware
- More Thoughts on Blind vs. Non-Blind Tasting
- A Great Tasting on Balance
- How Critics Taste Wines - On Blind Tasting
- On "Unexpected Napa Valley Wines"
Most Read Articles
Enjoy an Epic Tasting of 1968 Napa Valley Cabernets and Other Upcoming Events
- Tasting Event
- Written by Fred Swan
- Thursday, 10 October 2013 20:31
Taste Multiple 1968 Napa Valley Cabernet in Livermore—October 27
You probably take claims such as “once in a lifetime opportunity!” with a grain of salt. Yeah, me too. But then there’s this... Starting at 4pm on Sunday, October 27 a small group of people will be tasting drinking seven 1968 Cabernet Sauvignon (and other aged wines) over a very good, multi-course dinner in a private room at a nice restaurant. You can be in that group. There are currently just 3 or 4 seats available.
Here’s the full wine list for the evening, unless something else gets added:
1968 Hanzell Chardonnay Sonoma
1968 Louis M. Martini Pinot Noir Reserve
1968 Inglenook Charbono
1968 Heitz Martha’s Vineyard Cabernet 1968 BV George de la Tour Private Reserve
1968 Inglenook Cask H-12 Cabernet
1968 Souverain Napa Cabernet (Howell Mt.)
1968 Buena Vista Cask 102 Sonoma Cabernet
1968 Robert Mondavi Napa Cabernet Sauvignon Unfined
1968 Charles Krug Vintage Selection Cesare Mondavi Cabernet
1968 Mayacamas late harvest Zinfandel
1957 Ficklin LBV Port (Made from a solera of the 1948 through 1957 vintages)
As you might suspect, this tasting isn’t free. But it’s not crazy expensive either. The tasting fee is $125 and you also pay for your own dinner and gratuity. I’d estimate the grand total to be about $235. You can buy tickets here.
Note: I’ll be in attendance but I’m not the tasting organizer and am not receiving any of the proceeds (which are just going to defray part of the wine cost anyway).
Hopland Passport in Hopland, Mendocino—October 19 & 20
Hopland is a cute little town and a visit there is fun anytime. However, Hopland’s Fall Passport weekend will be especially festive. From 11am to 5pm each day, you’ll taste new and library wines from fifteen local vintners. And, of course, there’ll be plenty of food too.
Tickets are $45 in advance, $55 at the event. For tickets or more information, visit Destination Hopland.
The participating wineries include Brutocao Cellars, Campovida, Cesar Toxqui Cellars, Frey Vineyards, Graziano Family, Jaxon Keys Winery, Jeriko Estate, McFadden Farm, McNab Ridge Winery, Milano Winery, Nelson Family Vineyards, Ray’s Station, Saracina and Terra Savia.
Howell Mountain Harvest Celebration in Yountville—November 2
There are great wines coming from Howell Mountain. But, not all of the wineries are open to the public and a “passport” event could be hazardous given the narrow, winding roads. So Howell Mountain vintners trek down the hill for big tastings like their Howell Mountain Harvest Celebration. This time it will be held at V Wine Cellar in Yountville.
The tasting features 18 Howell Mountain wineries and will run from 1pm to 4pm on Saturday, November 2. In addition to the wine, there’ll be delicious food from a range of providers and winery chefs, plus live blues music. Buy your tickets soon, they are $55 right now but will go to $75 soon. Tickets will be $95 at the door.
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook. Also check out our comprehensive Northern California winery listings. They are very useful for planning a tasting trip or just getting in touch with a winery.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2013 NorCal Wine. All rights reserved.