Recent Blog Articles
- NorCal Wine Has Moved
- 'Tis the Season to be Zinful
- New Tasting Rooms & a Grand Opening in Lodi
- How You Can Contribute to Earthquake Relief in Napa
- A Tale of Two Conferences
- Cats and Dogs Blogging Together
- Getting the Wine Bloggers Conference We Deserve
- New White Wines and Rosés from Rutherford's Day in the Dust
- 6 More California Rhone Wines to Try at Rhone Rangers
- Lodi Zinfandel Goes Native
- Study: Researchers Discover New Taste
- He Wasn't Talking To You, Mr. Outrage
- 16 North Coast Rhones to Try and a Toothsome #WineChat
- Howell Mountain Spring Tasting Wrap Up
- Of Tasting Notes and Photographs
- Rhone Rangers Tastings and Rhone-Variety Wines Tasted
- More Thoughts on Blind vs. Non-Blind Tasting
- A Great Tasting on Balance
- How Critics Taste Wines - On Blind Tasting
- On "Unexpected Napa Valley Wines"
Most Read Articles
'Tis the Season to be Zinful
- Tasting Event
- Written by Fred Swan
- Monday, 05 January 2015 21:18
During this season, with visions of sugar plums dancing in my head, my thoughts often segue to Zinfandel. The soft and jammy berry fruit, welcoming spice and touch of sweetness goes wonderfully with holiday smorgasbords. Zinfandel gets the party started and is perfect for mulling.
It’s hard to satiate my tastebuds once they’ve gotten into that Zinfandel mood, so I take them to the Zinfandel Experience in late January. Over the course of four days, I can taste horizontally, vertically and regionally, paired with food, paired with friends and paired with engaging winemakers. What better way to cheer oneself from the post-holiday blahs?
The 2015 Zinfandel Experience will once again include five separate, equally enjoyable events. For tickets and/or more information, check out the Zinfandel Experience website.
Media & Trade Tasting — Wednesday, January 28 from 1pm to 5pm at Rock Wall in Alameda
The annual sneak preview for wine pros begins with a one-hour invitation-only seminar. That’s followed by a three-hour sippy stroll through Rock Wall’s Zinfandel hangar with some of California’s best juice makers and a stunning view of San Francisco across the bay. This event is an excellent way to get a great overview of where Zinfandel is today.
Epicuria — Thursday, January 29 from 6pm to 8:30pm at the Golden Gate Club in SF’s Presidio
Great small bite. Great Zinfandel. Together! So get your tickets here. This is always a wonderful event. The range of foods with which Zinfandel pairs well is very long. And, with more than 30 winery/restaurant combos on hand, you’ll taste plenty. This evening will offer everything from wild boar chili to chocolate pepper cupcakes with Zinfandel-infused bacon, shrimp cocktail to duck tacos with molé sauce. There goes my diet…
Flights! Forums of Flavor — Friday, January 30 from 10:30am to 1pm at the Four Seasons Hotel in SF
Flights is a seated tasting seminar featuring 15 wines and their makers. This year’s theme is historic regions. Three flights of five wines will explore Contra Costa County, Amador County and Dry Creek Valley through single-vineyard bottlings. This event always sells out early, so get your tickets soon.
Winemakers’ Dinner, Reception and Auction — Friday, January 30 from 5:30pm to 10pm at the Four Seasons Hotel
The reception will feature 28 magnums and reserve wines with hors d’oeuvres. At dinner, you’ll be seated with a winemaker and will enjoy Colorado Lamb Rack and Baked Alaska. And more Zinfandel. This is another event that sells out quickly, so don’t hesitate.
The Tasting — Saturday, January 31 from 11am to 5pm at The Presidio
Nearly 120 wineries will pour. Somms and winemakers will lead seminars on terroir. Holders of VIP and All-Day tickets will also get to try barrel samples and reserve wines.
Get your tickets at the Zinfandel Experience website.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2015. Photos courtesy of ZAP. All rights reserved.