Subscribe to Blog via RSS
Search for Events
Recent Blog Articles
- How Critics Taste Wines - On Blind Tasting
- On "Unexpected Napa Valley Wines"
- Robert Parker's Advice to Wine Writers
- Biodynamic Cabernet of Grace from Wise Acre Vineyards
- Back Labels I Can Get Behind
- Napa Valley Premiere - Competitive Juices Yield Record Prices
- Robert Parker Scores and Misses
- 18 Delicious Zinfandels You Need to Try at ZAP
- Awesome Sauvignon Blanc in Santa Ynez Valley
- It's Not Too Late! Downloadable Gifts for Wine Lovers
- 4 Great Gifts for Wine Collectors
- Recapping an Epic Tasting of 1968 Cabernet Sauvignon
- A Blow to the Stomach - SF Chronicle to End Standalone Food Section?
- New Pinot Noir and Cabernet Releases from Sojourn Cellars
- Fervor versus Flavors
- Update: Missing Articles on NorCalWine
- Thoughts on the Inaugural Pine Mountain-Cloverdale Peak AVA Tasting
- Body Count - On Describing the Body of Wine
- Lateral Moves North
- Enjoy an Epic Tasting of 1968 Napa Valley Cabernets and Other Upcoming Events
Most Read Articles
On Launching Ships with Bottles of Champagne: An Infographic
- General Interest
- Written by Fred Swan
- Monday, 28 January 2013 20:19
We've all seen film or photos of ships being bashed across the prow with a bottle of Champagne just before their maiden voyage. And you may have caught a few bloopers, times when the bottle bounced off the hull but didn't break. Why are ships launched with bubbly anyway? And how do you make sure the ceremony goes off with a frothy bang rather than an embarrasing thud?
Debra Dunham, mother of the late Cpl. Jason Dunham christens the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer named for her son. Photo: US Navy, August 1, 2009
Celebrity Cruises, who knows a thing or twenty about launching ships, created this fun infographic and I thought you'd enjoy it. All credit to them for creating it. All credit to those listed in the... credits for the data Celebrity Cruises interpreted. For the record, I've included the infographic here because it's cool, I've not been compensated by Celebrity Cruises in any way.
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook. Also check out our comprehensive Northern California winery listings. They are very useful for planning a tasting trip or just getting in touch with a winery.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2013 NorCal Wine. All rights reserved.</p