Recent Blog Articles
- NorCal Wine Has Moved
- 'Tis the Season to be Zinful
- New Tasting Rooms & a Grand Opening in Lodi
- How You Can Contribute to Earthquake Relief in Napa
- A Tale of Two Conferences
- Cats and Dogs Blogging Together
- Getting the Wine Bloggers Conference We Deserve
- New White Wines and Rosés from Rutherford's Day in the Dust
- 6 More California Rhone Wines to Try at Rhone Rangers
- Lodi Zinfandel Goes Native
- Study: Researchers Discover New Taste
- He Wasn't Talking To You, Mr. Outrage
- 16 North Coast Rhones to Try and a Toothsome #WineChat
- Howell Mountain Spring Tasting Wrap Up
- Of Tasting Notes and Photographs
- Rhone Rangers Tastings and Rhone-Variety Wines Tasted
- More Thoughts on Blind vs. Non-Blind Tasting
- A Great Tasting on Balance
- How Critics Taste Wines - On Blind Tasting
- On "Unexpected Napa Valley Wines"
Most Read Articles
On Launching Ships with Bottles of Champagne: An Infographic
- General Interest
- Written by Fred Swan
- Monday, 28 January 2013 20:19
We've all seen film or photos of ships being bashed across the prow with a bottle of Champagne just before their maiden voyage. And you may have caught a few bloopers, times when the bottle bounced off the hull but didn't break. Why are ships launched with bubbly anyway? And how do you make sure the ceremony goes off with a frothy bang rather than an embarrasing thud?
Debra Dunham, mother of the late Cpl. Jason Dunham christens the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer named for her son. Photo: US Navy, August 1, 2009
Celebrity Cruises, who knows a thing or twenty about launching ships, created this fun infographic and I thought you'd enjoy it. All credit to them for creating it. All credit to those listed in the... credits for the data Celebrity Cruises interpreted. For the record, I've included the infographic here because it's cool, I've not been compensated by Celebrity Cruises in any way.
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook. Also check out our comprehensive Northern California winery listings. They are very useful for planning a tasting trip or just getting in touch with a winery.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2013 NorCal Wine. All rights reserved.</p