Search for Events
Recent Blog Articles
- A Tale of Two Conferences
- Cats and Dogs Blogging Together
- Getting the Wine Bloggers Conference We Deserve
- New White Wines and Rosés from Rutherford's Day in the Dust
- Examining 2011 Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon
- 6 More California Rhone Wines to Try at Rhone Rangers
- Lodi Zinfandel Goes Native
- Study: Researchers Discover New Taste
- He Wasn't Talking To You, Mr. Outrage
- 16 North Coast Rhones to Try and a Toothsome #WineChat
- How Many Wines do Critics Taste per Day?
- Howell Mountain Spring Tasting Wrap Up
- Of Tasting Notes and Photographs
- Rhone Rangers Tastings and Rhone-Variety Wines Tasted
- How Critics Taste Wines - Glassware
- More Thoughts on Blind vs. Non-Blind Tasting
- A Great Tasting on Balance
- How Critics Taste Wines - On Blind Tasting
- On "Unexpected Napa Valley Wines"
- Robert Parker's Advice to Wine Writers
Green Winery Opens Tasting Room at Solar Living Institute
- Winery News
- Written by Fred Swan
- Tuesday, 27 September 2011 17:45
In what I suspect is the first such tie-in ever, Mendocino County's Parducci Wine Cellars has opened a tasting room within the Real Goods Solar store at the Solar Living Institute in Hopland. This co-location juxtaposes Parducci, which bills itself as "America's greenest winery" with Real Goods, one of California's largest installers of residential solar arrays. [Disclaimer: My home has a Real Goods solar installation, but I paid for that in full myself and am not compensated in any way for this news item.] Wines can be purchased to take home or to drink on-site while relaxing near the duck pond. Parducci's primary tasting room in Ukiah will continue to be open daily from 10am to 5pm. The address is 501 Parducci Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
Parducci Wine Cellars' focus on environmental responsibility has many aspects. Their grapes are locally-grown and sustainably-farmed. The winery operation is carbon neutral and 100% of its power is green. They engage in water conservation and recycling. They received California's Governor’s Environmental and Economic Leadership Award in 2007 and 2009. To highlight their committment, Parducci named two of its wines Parducci Sustainable White and Parducci Sustainable Red.
Real Goods has been in the solar business for more than 30 years. They sold their first panel in 1978. They are a provider of both residential and commercial systems with more than 7,000 homes and 10 megawatts of commercial currently online. The Real Goods Store provides a wide-range of green products, from body care products and clothing made from organic materials to gadgets that support a green lifestyle. There are also more than 1,000 different books on sustainable living. The store is open daily from 10am to 6pm.
The Real Goods Store is located at Real Goods' Solar Living Center. The Solar Living Center is 12-acre demonstration site for sustainable living which showcases green building techniques, renewable energy, alternative fuels and more. It also house the non-profit Solar Living Institute which offers environmental education. The Solar Living Center is open to the public and free of charge, though donations are encouraged. The Solar Living Center is located at 13771 S Highway 101, Hopland, CA 94559.
Photos: Parducci Wine Cellars and Real Goods Solar.