Subscribe to Blog via RSS
Search for Events
Recent Blog Articles
- Comments and Analysis on the 2012 Barrel Samples at Passport to Cabernet
- On Baseball & Bubbly: Mumm Napa & San Francisco Giants Co-Brand Wine
- Balance - In the Eye of the Beholder
- Tasted—5 Rhone Variety Wines from Clos Solene
- 7 Wine Events for this Weekend, April 26 - 28
- Harlan, Dalla Valle, Bond & Other Highlights of ’13 Taste of Oakville
- The Best White Wines at Sonoma in the City 2013
- 5 Fun Wine Events for this Weekend, April 19 - 21
- California Cabernet Aging Potential - It’s Not About the Years, it’s the Character
- Tips on Buying a Wine Fridge
- The Paso Robles AVA - Too Big to File
- Fine Powder on Mount Veeder
- An "Interview" with Roger Ebert on Wine Criticism
- Enjoy Two Benefit Wine Events on April 20
- Great Wine Events for This Weekend, March 22 - 24 2013
- Buy a Nose
- Site Upgrade
- California Crushed It in 2012
- Zin Pourin' and Food Porn at ZAP Epicuria
- Kelly Fleming Winery: World-Class Cabernet Sauvignon, Timeless Beauty
Recent Wines of the Day
- 2009 Cornerstone Cellars “The Cornerstone” Napa Valley
- 2009 Laetitia Pinot Noir Single Vineyard La Colline Arroyo Grande Valley
- 2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
- 2012 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Kerner Lodi AVA
- 2010 Wren Hop Pinot Noir “Fire Messenger” Sonoma Coast
- 2011 Lucia Pinot Noir Soberanes Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2011 Roar Chardonnay Sierra Mar Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2010 Frostwatch Chardonnay Bennett Valley Sonoma County
- 2007 Smith-Madrone Cabernet Sauvignon Spring Mountain District Napa Valley
- 2012 Voss Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley
- 2012 Vina Robles Roseum Huerhuero Vineyard Paso Robles
- 2008 Hawk and Horse Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Red Hills AVA, Lake County
- 2011 Vina Robles White4
- 2010 Quivira Refuge Sauvignon Blanc
- 2007 Ampelos Delta Grenache
- 2008 Inman Family Thorn Ridge Ranch Pinot Noir
- 2010 DeLoach Estate Pinot Noir
- 2009 V. Sattui Zinfandel Gilsson Vineyard Russian River Valley
- 2009 Trinchero Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Chicken Ranch Vineyard, Rutherford
- 2009 McCay Cellars “Jupiter” Zinfandel
NorCal Wine Blog
5 Amusing Uses for Old Wine Corks
- General Interest
- Written by Fred Swan
- Thursday, 14 October 2010 21:13
If you open as many wine bottles as I do, you may find yourself with two problems: sommelier elbow and a vast surplus of corks. You can make your elbow feel better by drinking some of the wine. But what do you do with all of those corks. Here are a few inspiring examples of what other forks with too many corks — and plenty of time on their hands — have done. Enjoy!
"Cork in the Road" by Steven Leslie; check out his site for other creations. He has other designs and sells his creations as well.
It took more than 300,000 wine corks to create this huge mosaic.
The shading the artist gets is impressive. Imagine sorting all of those corks!
The artist, Saimir Strati, not only uses different colors of cork, but different lengths to create depth. Don't try this at home if you've been drinking the wine! (via TheContaminated)
Wine cork "art" can be practical and doesn't have to be hard to make yourself. Craftynest has instructions for making your own wine cork bath mat.
On the other hand, the creations that are difficult to create and epic in size can be pretty amazing. This cork cow can be seen at the Charles Creek Vineyard tasting room on the square in Sonoma. Photo: Charles Creek Vineyard
After a hard day of building cork cows, you'll want to sit back and relax. So build yourself a chair too!
If you enjoyed this article, please share it! Icons for popular sharing services are at the right above and also below.
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook. Also check out our comprehensive Northern California winery listings. They are very useful for planning a tasting trip or just getting in touch with a winery.