Search for Events
Wine of the Day via RSS
Recent Blog Articles
- 'Tis the Season to be Zinful
- New Tasting Rooms & a Grand Opening in Lodi
- Cinsault Good
- How You Can Contribute to Earthquake Relief in Napa
- On a Vertical Tasting of Grgich-Hills Cabernet Sauvignon Yountville Selection
- A Tale of Two Conferences
- Cats and Dogs Blogging Together
- Getting the Wine Bloggers Conference We Deserve
- New White Wines and Rosés from Rutherford's Day in the Dust
- Examining 2011 Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon
- 6 More California Rhone Wines to Try at Rhone Rangers
- Lodi Zinfandel Goes Native
- Study: Researchers Discover New Taste
- He Wasn't Talking To You, Mr. Outrage
- 16 North Coast Rhones to Try and a Toothsome #WineChat
- How Many Wines do Critics Taste per Day?
- Howell Mountain Spring Tasting Wrap Up
- Of Tasting Notes and Photographs
- Rhone Rangers Tastings and Rhone-Variety Wines Tasted
- How Critics Taste Wines - Glassware
Recent Wines of the Day
- 2010 Moone-Tsai Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2009 Hawk and Horse Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2010 Skinner Vineyards Estate Mourvedre, El Dorado
- 2012 Masut Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir, Mendocino County
- 2010 Gallica Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2011 Harney Lane Old Vine Zinfandel Lizzy James Vineyard Lodi
- 2006 Santana Supernatural Rosé by Mumm Napa
- 2011 Jekel Riesling Monterey and 2011 Jekel Pinot Noir Santa Barbara
- 2012 Matthiasson Chardonnay Linda Vista Vineyard Napa Valley
- Review from the Cellar - 2010 Qupé Mourvedre Ibarra-Young Vineyard
- 2012 Tres Sabores Rosé “Ingrid and Julia” Napa Valley
- 2011 Testarossa Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2009 Lucia Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- Review: 2009 Buccella Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2008 Vin Roc Cabernet Sauvignon Atlas Peak Napa Valley
- 2009 Cornerstone Cellars “The Cornerstone” Napa Valley
- 2009 Laetitia Pinot Noir Single Vineyard La Colline Arroyo Grande Valley
- 2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
- 2012 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Kerner Lodi AVA
- 2010 Wren Hop Pinot Noir “Fire Messenger” Sonoma Coast
Wine of the Day
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Written by Fred Swan
- Wednesday, 24 March 2010 08:00
The 2008 Justin Sauvignon Blanc Paso Robles is extremely different from the 2009 Vina Robles Sauvignon Blanc Jardine Vineyard Paso Robles that we recently reviewed. Yet, both are from Paso Robles and both are expressive of their terroir. Whereas the Vina Robles wine was sourced entirely from a vineyard in northeast Paso Robles, the 2008 Sauvignon Blanc is sourced from two vineyards. One is east of Highway 101 in Paso Robles, but the other is high up in the Adelaide Hills in west Paso Robles. There, the close proximity to the ocean, the high altitude and limestone soils yield a much leaner and more citrusy wine and I suspect that the majority of the grapes used in the final product came from that vineyard. That said, Justin engaged in careful viticulture and made a point of picking the east side grapes early to ensure that they would retain plenty of acidity.
The grapes were handpicked and whole cluster pressed with each vineyard harvested and fermented individually. All fermentation and the 5 month aging took place in stainless steel. No oak was used nor was there any malolactic fermentation.
The resulting wine is a pale greenish gold in color with gentle, youthful aromas of lime, lemon, chalk and just a touch of kiwi. It’s a fluid wine with lively acidity and flavors of lime, lemon and mineral that is slightly drying rather than juicy. A moderately long finish is dominated by acidity and fresh lime.
I would serve the 2008 Justin Sauvignon Blanc Paso Robles with ceviche or a salad of dungeness crab and Haas avocado. Drink now through 2012. Recommended.
Note: The winery appears to be sold out of this wine, but you may still be able to find it at retail.
Retail Price: $15.00
Blend: 100% Sauvignon Blanc
Origin: West Paso Vineyard, East Paso Vineyard (Paso Robles)
This bottle was purchased for review by NorCal Wine.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2010 NorCal Wine. All rights reserved.
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook.
Also check out our comprehensive Northern California winery listings. They are very useful for planning a tasting trip or just getting in touch with a winery.