Search for Events
Wine of the Day via RSS
Recent Blog Articles
- Tasting "Unexpected Napa Valley Wines"
- Robert Parker's Advice to Wine Writers
- Biodynamic Cabernet of Grace from Wise Acre Vineyards
- Back Labels I Can Get Behind
- Napa Valley Premiere - Competitive Juices Yield Record Prices
- Robert Parker Scores and Misses
- 18 Delicious Zinfandels You Need to Try at ZAP
- Awesome Sauvignon Blanc in Santa Ynez Valley
- It's Not Too Late! Downloadable Gifts for Wine Lovers
- 4 Great Gifts for Wine Collectors
- Recapping an Epic Tasting of 1968 Cabernet Sauvignon
- A Blow to the Stomach - SF Chronicle to End Standalone Food Section?
- New Pinot Noir and Cabernet Releases from Sojourn Cellars
- Fervor versus Flavors
- Update: Missing Articles on NorCalWine
- Thoughts on the Inaugural Pine Mountain-Cloverdale Peak AVA Tasting
- Body Count - On Describing the Body of Wine
- Lateral Moves North
- Enjoy an Epic Tasting of 1968 Napa Valley Cabernets and Other Upcoming Events
- Charles Banks Acquires Historic Qupé Winery In the Santa Maria Valley Appellation
Recent Wines of the Day
- 2010 Gallica Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2011 Harney Lane Old Vine Zinfandel Lizzy James Vineyard Lodi
- 2006 Santana Supernatural Rosé by Mumm Napa
- 2011 Jekel Riesling Monterey and 2011 Jekel Pinot Noir Santa Barbara
- 2012 Matthiasson Chardonnay Linda Vista Vineyard Napa Valley
- Review from the Cellar - 2010 Qupé Mourvedre Ibarra-Young Vineyard
- 2012 Tres Sabores Rosé “Ingrid and Julia” Napa Valley
- 2011 Testarossa Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2009 Lucia Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- Review: 2009 Buccella Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2008 Vin Roc Cabernet Sauvignon Atlas Peak Napa Valley
- 2009 Cornerstone Cellars “The Cornerstone” Napa Valley
- 2009 Laetitia Pinot Noir Single Vineyard La Colline Arroyo Grande Valley
- 2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
- 2012 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Kerner Lodi AVA
- 2010 Wren Hop Pinot Noir “Fire Messenger” Sonoma Coast
- 2011 Lucia Pinot Noir Soberanes Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2011 Roar Chardonnay Sierra Mar Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2010 Frostwatch Chardonnay Bennett Valley Sonoma County
- 2007 Smith-Madrone Cabernet Sauvignon Spring Mountain District Napa Valley
Wine of the Day
- Written by Fred Swan
- Monday, 29 April 2013 22:08
The Lange family has been growing grapes in Lodi since 1916. They have expanded their land holdings and areas of involvement within the wine business substantially over the years. In 2006 they established the Lange Twins Winery which produces wine under that label as well as Caricature and Green Hills. David Akiyoshi is the head winemaker. Prior to joining Lange Twins he was director of winemaking at Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi which is also in the Lodi area. (David is also proprietor of School Street Bistro in downtown Lodi. I've eaten there twice and recommend it.)
Lange has vineyards in both the Lodi and Clarksburg AVAs. This Chardonnay comes from Clarksburg, a growers’ region with 7,000 acres under vine but just 12 wineries. The area is capable of ripening high-yielding vines but cooling breezes coming off of the Sacramento River and its delta help to maintain acidity in the grapes.
The 2010 Lange Twins Estate Chardonnay offers pleasing aromas of green apple, pear, spice and yogurt. It is medium-plus in body with food-friendly acidity and a very light texture on the tongue with flavors of green apple, tart stone fruit, lemon and a touch of minerality. This is a solid effort, something I’d be happy to find in my glass at a backyard party. And at just $15 suggested retail and 13.9% alcohol it is a good choice for pool-side sipping, cookouts and weeknight dinners. Drink now through 2014. Recommended.
2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
Drink: now through 2014
Retail Price: $15.00
Winemaker: David Akiyoshi
Origin: Estate vineyards, Clarksburg AVA
Decanting: Not recommended
Temperature: 50º - 54º F
Food Pairings: seafood, salads, chicken
Disclosures: The FTC has tightened its guidelines with respect to online ads, reviews, blogs, etc. in response to people who are passing paid adds off as personal recommendations or who getting samples of expensive hard goods in exchange for reviews. My lengthy disclosure here is meant to address those guidelines.
The review above reflects my personal experience with the product. It is not a paid ad, nor do I accept ads or compensation for reviews directly from wine producers. I’m a professional wine writer not a shill. Reviews may cover products that I have purchased, received as samples, or tried under other circumstances I consider to be good tasting conditions. Receiving a product as a sample does not obligate me to review it positively (or at all) and I do not consider samples to be compensation or “free wine.” I have purchased plenty of wine over the years and have more of that than I can drink. Samples are opened for review purposes, not added to my personal cellar or taken to restaurants.
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2013 NorCal Wine. All rights reserved. Photo courtesy of Lange Twins Winery.