Search for Events
Wine of the Day via RSS
Recent Blog Articles
- 4 Great Gifts for Wine Collectors
- Recapping an Epic Tasting of 1968 Cabernet Sauvignon
- A Blow to the Stomach - SF Chronicle to End Standalone Food Section?
- New Pinot Noir and Cabernet Releases from Sojourn Cellars
- Fervor versus Flavors
- Update: Missing Articles on NorCalWine
- Thoughts on the Inaugural Pine Mountain-Cloverdale Peak AVA Tasting
- Body Count - On Describing the Body of Wine
- Lateral Moves North
- Enjoy an Epic Tasting of 1968 Napa Valley Cabernets and Other Upcoming Events
- Charles Banks Acquires Historic Qupé Winery In the Santa Maria Valley Appellation
- Spotlight on the Moon Mountain District Sonoma County AVA
- Tasting the Wines of Andrew Murray Vineyards
- Mendocino Sparkles
- Discovering Mendocino
- Review: New California Wine by Jon Bonné
- 12 Things You Should Know about Sake
- Tasting Report: 14th Annual Mt. Veeder Appellation Tasting
- New Research: How Our Brains Categorize Aromas
- Upcoming Wine Events for September 20 - 23
Recent Wines of the Day
- 2011 Harney Lane Old Vine Zinfandel Lizzy James Vineyard Lodi
- 2006 Santana Supernatural Rosé by Mumm Napa
- 2011 Jekel Riesling Monterey and 2011 Jekel Pinot Noir Santa Barbara
- 2012 Matthiasson Chardonnay Linda Vista Vineyard Napa Valley
- Review from the Cellar - 2010 Qupé Mourvedre Ibarra-Young Vineyard
- 2012 Tres Sabores Rosé “Ingrid and Julia” Napa Valley
- 2011 Testarossa Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2009 Lucia Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- Review: 2009 Buccella Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2008 Vin Roc Cabernet Sauvignon Atlas Peak Napa Valley
- 2009 Cornerstone Cellars “The Cornerstone” Napa Valley
- 2009 Laetitia Pinot Noir Single Vineyard La Colline Arroyo Grande Valley
- 2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
- 2012 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Kerner Lodi AVA
- 2010 Wren Hop Pinot Noir “Fire Messenger” Sonoma Coast
- 2011 Lucia Pinot Noir Soberanes Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2011 Roar Chardonnay Sierra Mar Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2010 Frostwatch Chardonnay Bennett Valley Sonoma County
- 2007 Smith-Madrone Cabernet Sauvignon Spring Mountain District Napa Valley
- 2012 Voss Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley
Wine of the Day
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Written by Fred Swan
- Friday, 24 August 2012 03:00
Lodi is well known as a source for good value red wines and for old-vine Zinfandel. Deservedly so. However, Lodi also delivers a lot of good wines from outside those categories. There are delicious and varietally-correct made from varieties uncommon in the United States, such as Uvaggio Vermentino, Alta Mesa Verdelho and a range of Iberian-varietal wines from Bokisch.
Not all of the good stuff comes from under-the-radar varieties though. The 2011 Peltier Station “Hybrid” Sauvignon Blanc is fine expression of Sauvignon Blanc. It’s crisp and offers a range of fruit flavors. It’s even low enough in alcohol to make an afternoon of backyard sipping relatively guilt free.
Peltier Station winemaker JC van Staden’s started in the wine business in his native South Africa and his 2011 reminds me very much of South African Sauvignon Blanc. The nose is focused on tart fruit: gooseberry, grapefruit and pineapple with side notes of peach and mineral. The palate is medium-bodied and bone dry with flavors of grapefruit and lime.
This isn’t a complicated wine and some Sauvignon Blanc fans might prefer a bit of oak or more ripe fruit. But I find it pleasingly zesty with a generous, dry finish. It’s an excellent choice for hot summer afternoons and fresh vegetables from your garden. And it's especially hard to beat at $8. Drink now through 2013. Recommended.
2011 Peltier Station “Hybrid” Sauvignon Blanc
Drink: now - 2013
Release Date: March 2012
Production: 1,200 cases
Retail Price: $8.00
Blend: 100% Sauvignon Blanc
Origin: Lodi AVA
Fermentation: 24 hour, anaerobic cold soak on skins after crush, fermented at 50 degrees for 15 days in stainless steel
Decanting: Not recommended
Temperature: 50º - 54º F
Food Pairings: Green salads, salad nicoise, fish tacos
The wine above was purchased for review.
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2012 NorCal Wine. All rights reserved.