Search for Events
Wine of the Day via RSS
Recent Blog Articles
- 6 More California Rhone Wines to Try at Rhone Rangers
- Lodi Zinfandel Goes Native
- Study: Researchers Discover New Taste
- He Wasn't Talking To You, Mr. Outrage
- 16 North Coast Rhones to Try and a Toothsome #WineChat
- How Many Wines do Critics Taste per Day?
- Howell Mountain Spring Tasting Wrap Up
- Of Tasting Notes and Photographs
- Rhone Rangers Tastings and Rhone-Variety Wines Tasted
- How Critics Taste Wines - Glassware
- More Thoughts on Blind vs. Non-Blind Tasting
- A Great Tasting on Balance
- How Critics Taste Wines - On Blind Tasting
- On "Unexpected Napa Valley Wines"
- Robert Parker's Advice to Wine Writers
- Biodynamic Cabernet of Grace from Wise Acre Vineyards
- Back Labels I Can Get Behind
- Napa Valley Premiere - Competitive Juices Yield Record Prices
- Robert Parker Scores and Misses
- 18 Delicious Zinfandels You Need to Try at ZAP
Recent Wines of the Day
- 2010 Moone-Tsai Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2009 Hawk and Horse Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2010 Skinner Vineyards Estate Mourvedre, El Dorado
- 2012 Masut Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir, Mendocino County
- 2010 Gallica Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2011 Harney Lane Old Vine Zinfandel Lizzy James Vineyard Lodi
- 2006 Santana Supernatural Rosé by Mumm Napa
- 2011 Jekel Riesling Monterey and 2011 Jekel Pinot Noir Santa Barbara
- 2012 Matthiasson Chardonnay Linda Vista Vineyard Napa Valley
- Review from the Cellar - 2010 Qupé Mourvedre Ibarra-Young Vineyard
- 2012 Tres Sabores Rosé “Ingrid and Julia” Napa Valley
- 2011 Testarossa Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2009 Lucia Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- Review: 2009 Buccella Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2008 Vin Roc Cabernet Sauvignon Atlas Peak Napa Valley
- 2009 Cornerstone Cellars “The Cornerstone” Napa Valley
- 2009 Laetitia Pinot Noir Single Vineyard La Colline Arroyo Grande Valley
- 2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
- 2012 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Kerner Lodi AVA
- 2010 Wren Hop Pinot Noir “Fire Messenger” Sonoma Coast
Wine of the Day
- Written by Fred Swan
- Thursday, 27 January 2011 20:07
As today is the first official day of the 2011 Zinfandel Festival, we’ll make our wines of the day Zinfandel both today and tomorrow. I did a blind tasting of six Zinfandel wines recently. All were priced below $20. A range of regions were included: Sonoma County, Lodi, Napa Valley and “California.” Sadly, one of the wines was corked and couldn’t be evaluated. Of the remaining wines, there were two that I’m happy to recommend.
Today’s wine is the 2007 Ravenswood Zinfandel Sonoma County Old Vine. It has a nose of black cherry, black berry, vanilla and cinnamon. While it’s a dry wine, there is just a bit of sweetness on the palate. It is medium-plus in body with chalky tannins, somewhat prominent alcohol and a medium finish. Flavors include black cherry and oak-derived chocolate, cocoa and coconut. It’s a good and affordable representation of “modern” Zinfandel, neither shy nor overbearing. It will go well with most any grilled or braised red meat or pork, but won’t react well with highly spicy BBQ sauce. This Zinfandel has enough structure to hold a while, but why wait? Drink now through 2013. Recommended.
2007 Ravenswood Zinfandel Sonoma County Old Vine
Drink: Now through 2013
Retail Price: $16.00
Blend: 76% Zinfandel, 8% Petite Sirah, 8% Carignane, 8% Mixed Blacks
Origin: Sonoma County
Aging: 18 months in 100% French oak, 30% new
The wines above were provided for review by the wineries. They were tasted blind in a flight of six without decanting.
If you enjoyed this article, please share it! Icons for popular sharing services are at the right above and also below.
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook. Also check out our comprehensive Northern California winery listings. They are very useful for planning a tasting trip or just getting in touch with a winery.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2010 NorCal Wine. All rights reserved.