Wine of the Day via RSS
Recent Blog Articles
- NorCal Wine Has Moved
- 'Tis the Season to be Zinful
- New Tasting Rooms & a Grand Opening in Lodi
- How You Can Contribute to Earthquake Relief in Napa
- A Tale of Two Conferences
- Cats and Dogs Blogging Together
- Getting the Wine Bloggers Conference We Deserve
- New White Wines and Rosés from Rutherford's Day in the Dust
- 6 More California Rhone Wines to Try at Rhone Rangers
- Lodi Zinfandel Goes Native
- Study: Researchers Discover New Taste
- He Wasn't Talking To You, Mr. Outrage
- 16 North Coast Rhones to Try and a Toothsome #WineChat
- Howell Mountain Spring Tasting Wrap Up
- Of Tasting Notes and Photographs
- Rhone Rangers Tastings and Rhone-Variety Wines Tasted
- More Thoughts on Blind vs. Non-Blind Tasting
- A Great Tasting on Balance
- How Critics Taste Wines - On Blind Tasting
- On "Unexpected Napa Valley Wines"
Recent Wines of the Day
- 2010 Moone-Tsai Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2009 Hawk and Horse Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2010 Skinner Vineyards Estate Mourvedre, El Dorado
- 2012 Masut Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir, Mendocino County
- 2010 Gallica Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2011 Harney Lane Old Vine Zinfandel Lizzy James Vineyard Lodi
- 2006 Santana Supernatural Rosé by Mumm Napa
- 2011 Jekel Riesling Monterey and 2011 Jekel Pinot Noir Santa Barbara
- 2012 Matthiasson Chardonnay Linda Vista Vineyard Napa Valley
- Review from the Cellar - 2010 Qupé Mourvedre Ibarra-Young Vineyard
- 2012 Tres Sabores Rosé “Ingrid and Julia” Napa Valley
- 2011 Testarossa Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2009 Lucia Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- Review: 2009 Buccella Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2008 Vin Roc Cabernet Sauvignon Atlas Peak Napa Valley
- 2009 Cornerstone Cellars “The Cornerstone” Napa Valley
- 2009 Laetitia Pinot Noir Single Vineyard La Colline Arroyo Grande Valley
- 2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
- 2012 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Kerner Lodi AVA
- 2010 Wren Hop Pinot Noir “Fire Messenger” Sonoma Coast
Wine of the Day
- Written by Fred Swan
- Thursday, 23 August 2012 19:48
JC Cellars’ 2007 Ventana Vineyards Syrah was the clear winner in a recent blind, panel tasting of Northern California Syrah I conducted. It combines aromas and flavors of Northern Rhone Syrah with the texture and richness of California. It’s also a lot of wine for just $30.
The source vineyard is in southern Monterey County, just south of the Santa Lucia Highlands but toward the northern extent of the Arroyo Seco AVA. Extremely deep sandy soil — which you’ll see a lot of driving near the town of Monterey on Highway 1 — are not just well-drained but phylloxera resistant. As a result, the Syrah is actually own-rooted.
This Syrah is opaque in the glass with a ruby hue. Its nose is savory and intriguing: black and white pepper, seared game and bay leaf. The full body, rich with fruit and some weight from alcohol, is framed by very fine chalky tannins. Dark berries peek through a velvet curtain of spiced meat, garrigue, five spice and mineral which lasts and lasts. Enjoy it with rosemary and garlic lamb chops or a grilled rib eye. Highly Recommended+.
2007 JC Cellars Syrah Ventana Vineyards, Arroyo Seco
Rating: Highly Recommended+
Drink: now - 2015
Production: 129 cases
Retail Price: $30.00
Origin: Ventana Vineyards, Arroyo Seco AVA, Monterey County
Blend: 100% Syrah
Decanting: Not required
Temperature: 58º - 62º F
Food Pairings: Lamb chops, lamb shank, leg of lamb, lamb shoulder...
The wine above was purchased for review.
Note: JC Cellars is doing some rebranding. They are creating an umbrella brand called Jeff Cohn Wines. Beneath that, JC Cellars will continue as a sub-brand offering single-vineyard, varietal wines. An additional sub-brand called Smoke & Mirrors is being created to offer high-quality blends at attractive prices.
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2012 NorCal Wine. All rights reserved.