Search for Events
Wine of the Day via RSS
Recent Blog Articles
- Tasting "Unexpected Napa Valley Wines"
- Robert Parker's Advice to Wine Writers
- Biodynamic Cabernet of Grace from Wise Acre Vineyards
- Back Labels I Can Get Behind
- Napa Valley Premiere - Competitive Juices Yield Record Prices
- Robert Parker Scores and Misses
- 18 Delicious Zinfandels You Need to Try at ZAP
- Awesome Sauvignon Blanc in Santa Ynez Valley
- It's Not Too Late! Downloadable Gifts for Wine Lovers
- 4 Great Gifts for Wine Collectors
- Recapping an Epic Tasting of 1968 Cabernet Sauvignon
- A Blow to the Stomach - SF Chronicle to End Standalone Food Section?
- New Pinot Noir and Cabernet Releases from Sojourn Cellars
- Fervor versus Flavors
- Update: Missing Articles on NorCalWine
- Thoughts on the Inaugural Pine Mountain-Cloverdale Peak AVA Tasting
- Body Count - On Describing the Body of Wine
- Lateral Moves North
- Enjoy an Epic Tasting of 1968 Napa Valley Cabernets and Other Upcoming Events
- Charles Banks Acquires Historic Qupé Winery In the Santa Maria Valley Appellation
Recent Wines of the Day
- 2010 Gallica Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2011 Harney Lane Old Vine Zinfandel Lizzy James Vineyard Lodi
- 2006 Santana Supernatural Rosé by Mumm Napa
- 2011 Jekel Riesling Monterey and 2011 Jekel Pinot Noir Santa Barbara
- 2012 Matthiasson Chardonnay Linda Vista Vineyard Napa Valley
- Review from the Cellar - 2010 Qupé Mourvedre Ibarra-Young Vineyard
- 2012 Tres Sabores Rosé “Ingrid and Julia” Napa Valley
- 2011 Testarossa Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2009 Lucia Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- Review: 2009 Buccella Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2008 Vin Roc Cabernet Sauvignon Atlas Peak Napa Valley
- 2009 Cornerstone Cellars “The Cornerstone” Napa Valley
- 2009 Laetitia Pinot Noir Single Vineyard La Colline Arroyo Grande Valley
- 2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
- 2012 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Kerner Lodi AVA
- 2010 Wren Hop Pinot Noir “Fire Messenger” Sonoma Coast
- 2011 Lucia Pinot Noir Soberanes Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2011 Roar Chardonnay Sierra Mar Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2010 Frostwatch Chardonnay Bennett Valley Sonoma County
- 2007 Smith-Madrone Cabernet Sauvignon Spring Mountain District Napa Valley
Wine of the Day
- Written by Fred Swan
- Thursday, 23 August 2012 19:48
JC Cellars’ 2007 Ventana Vineyards Syrah was the clear winner in a recent blind, panel tasting of Northern California Syrah I conducted. It combines aromas and flavors of Northern Rhone Syrah with the texture and richness of California. It’s also a lot of wine for just $30.
The source vineyard is in southern Monterey County, just south of the Santa Lucia Highlands but toward the northern extent of the Arroyo Seco AVA. Extremely deep sandy soil — which you’ll see a lot of driving near the town of Monterey on Highway 1 — are not just well-drained but phylloxera resistant. As a result, the Syrah is actually own-rooted.
This Syrah is opaque in the glass with a ruby hue. Its nose is savory and intriguing: black and white pepper, seared game and bay leaf. The full body, rich with fruit and some weight from alcohol, is framed by very fine chalky tannins. Dark berries peek through a velvet curtain of spiced meat, garrigue, five spice and mineral which lasts and lasts. Enjoy it with rosemary and garlic lamb chops or a grilled rib eye. Highly Recommended+.
2007 JC Cellars Syrah Ventana Vineyards, Arroyo Seco
Rating: Highly Recommended+
Drink: now - 2015
Production: 129 cases
Retail Price: $30.00
Origin: Ventana Vineyards, Arroyo Seco AVA, Monterey County
Blend: 100% Syrah
Decanting: Not required
Temperature: 58º - 62º F
Food Pairings: Lamb chops, lamb shank, leg of lamb, lamb shoulder...
The wine above was purchased for review.
Note: JC Cellars is doing some rebranding. They are creating an umbrella brand called Jeff Cohn Wines. Beneath that, JC Cellars will continue as a sub-brand offering single-vineyard, varietal wines. An additional sub-brand called Smoke & Mirrors is being created to offer high-quality blends at attractive prices.
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for breaking wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2012 NorCal Wine. All rights reserved.