Search for Events
Wine of the Day via RSS
Recent Blog Articles
- 4 Great Gifts for Wine Collectors
- Recapping an Epic Tasting of 1968 Cabernet Sauvignon
- A Blow to the Stomach - SF Chronicle to End Standalone Food Section?
- New Pinot Noir and Cabernet Releases from Sojourn Cellars
- Fervor versus Flavors
- Update: Missing Articles on NorCalWine
- Thoughts on the Inaugural Pine Mountain-Cloverdale Peak AVA Tasting
- Body Count - On Describing the Body of Wine
- Lateral Moves North
- Enjoy an Epic Tasting of 1968 Napa Valley Cabernets and Other Upcoming Events
- Charles Banks Acquires Historic Qupé Winery In the Santa Maria Valley Appellation
- Spotlight on the Moon Mountain District Sonoma County AVA
- Tasting the Wines of Andrew Murray Vineyards
- Mendocino Sparkles
- Discovering Mendocino
- Review: New California Wine by Jon Bonné
- 12 Things You Should Know about Sake
- Tasting Report: 14th Annual Mt. Veeder Appellation Tasting
- New Research: How Our Brains Categorize Aromas
- Upcoming Wine Events for September 20 - 23
Recent Wines of the Day
- 2011 Harney Lane Old Vine Zinfandel Lizzy James Vineyard Lodi
- 2006 Santana Supernatural Rosé by Mumm Napa
- 2011 Jekel Riesling Monterey and 2011 Jekel Pinot Noir Santa Barbara
- 2012 Matthiasson Chardonnay Linda Vista Vineyard Napa Valley
- Review from the Cellar - 2010 Qupé Mourvedre Ibarra-Young Vineyard
- 2012 Tres Sabores Rosé “Ingrid and Julia” Napa Valley
- 2011 Testarossa Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2009 Lucia Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- Review: 2009 Buccella Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- 2008 Vin Roc Cabernet Sauvignon Atlas Peak Napa Valley
- 2009 Cornerstone Cellars “The Cornerstone” Napa Valley
- 2009 Laetitia Pinot Noir Single Vineyard La Colline Arroyo Grande Valley
- 2010 Lange Twins Chardonnay Estate Grown Clarksburg AVA
- 2012 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Kerner Lodi AVA
- 2010 Wren Hop Pinot Noir “Fire Messenger” Sonoma Coast
- 2011 Lucia Pinot Noir Soberanes Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2011 Roar Chardonnay Sierra Mar Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands
- 2010 Frostwatch Chardonnay Bennett Valley Sonoma County
- 2007 Smith-Madrone Cabernet Sauvignon Spring Mountain District Napa Valley
- 2012 Voss Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley
Wine of the Day
- Sparkling wine
- Written by Fred Swan
- Wednesday, 23 October 2013 20:06
Mumm Napa has been making sparkling wines in concert with Carlos Santana for several years now. 100% of Santana’s proceeds from the sales go to agencies helping to prevent and/or remedy youth substance abuse. One of the non-profits involved is his own Milagro Foundation which has given more than $5 million to benefit youth’s around the world since it’s founding in 1998.
The first wine he worked on with Mumm—Santana consults on the dosage—was the NV Santana Brut ($50), now an annual release. In May of this year, the 2006 Santana Supernatural Rosé was added. The good news, from a charitable standpoint, is that the wine has sold out. The bad news for you is that the wine has sold out. I say this because I just opened a bottle and it’s delicious.
2006 Santana Supernatural Rosé by Mumm Napa is striking to look at with hundreds of tiny bubbles flying up through the pastel pink wine. Fresh, incisive notes of strawberry, raspberry and green apple on the nose are softened by toasted brioche and peach skin. The palate is clean and gently crisp with flavores of strawberry, raspberry, tangerine pith and green apple. The tangerine and apple aspects last throughout the lengthy, dry finish. This is a versatile sparkler, crisp enough for an aperitif and sufficiently flavorful to accompany a meal but also just soft enough to enjoy on it’s own. Drink now through 2016. Highly Recommended
If you didn’t manage to get a bottle for yourself there are other bubbles you can drink for the cause. This year’s release of Santana Brut is still available as is a brand new wine, the 2007 Santana Supernatural Brut ($60). The wines are available directly from Mumm Napa, in person and online.
2006 Santana Supernatural Rosé by Mumm Napa
Rating: Highly Recommended
Drink: now through 2016
Release Date: May, 2013
Retail Price: $65.00
Winemaker: Ludovic Dervin
Blend: 50% Pinot Noir, 50% Chardonnay
Origin: Napa Valley
Disclosures: The FTC has tightened its guidelines with respect to online ads, reviews, blogs, etc. in response to people who are passing paid ads off as personal recommendations or who accept samples of expensive hard goods in exchange for reviews. My lengthy disclosure here is meant to address those guidelines.
The review above reflects my personal experience with the product. It is not a paid ad, nor do I accept ads or compensation for reviews from wine producers. Reviews may cover products that I have purchased, received as samples, or tried under other circumstances I consider to be good tasting conditions. Receiving a product as a sample does not obligate me to review it positively (or at all) and I do not consider samples to be compensation or “free wine.” I have purchased plenty of wine over the years and have more of that than I can drink. Samples are opened for review purposes, not added to my personal cellar or taken to restaurants.
Follow NorCalWine on Twitter for wine news, information on events and more. Become a fan and join the NorCal Wine community on Facebook.
This article is original to NorCalWine.com. Copyright 2013 NorCal Wine. All rights reserved.